Ryan drives the brand-new for 2015 Subaru WRX. Can this new model live up to its heritage? The new WRX is powered by a new 2.0-L flat-four with a twin-scroll turbo making 268hp and 258 lb-ft peak powering all four wheels thanks to Subaru’s Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system (50:50 in the 6MT, 45:55 variable in the CVT.) Pricing was not announced at the time of the review, but we expect it will be close to the outgoing models.
Some other details that I couldn’t fit in the review: the steering rack is tighter at 14.5:1 (versus 15:1 previously), the steering wheel is smaller (but not as small as the BRZs), the seats have a movable headrest due to safety requirements (but they’re really nice anyhow), the front stabilizer bar is upgraded from 21mm to 24mm, the rear bar is 20mm (previously 19mm), rear springs are 62% stiffer than before. Also, SI-Drive now adapts intelligently to driving style, going to the 8-speed stepped mode when driving aggressively. The car also stays in the SI-Drive mode you last used (I or S, not S#). This is due to the way the car was rated by the EPA. The MPG numbers you’ll see are basically a mix between I and S, not optimum MPGs which is why, on paper the CVT gets only 19 city / 25 hwy / 21 combined whereas the 6MT gets 21/28/24. In the real-world in I-mode the CVT will get equal to or better MPG than the 6MT.
2015 Subaru WRX Specs:
- 2.0-liter DOHC, 16-valve 4-cylinder BOXER engine; turbocharged with intercooler, Dual Active Valve Control System (DAVCS), 268 horsepower and 258 lb.-ft. peak torque
- 6-speed manual or Sport Lineartronic CVT with SI-DRIVE
- 4-wheel disc brakes
- 17 x 8-in. aluminum alloy wheels
- 235/45 R17 94W Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT tires (5×114.3 bolt-pattern)
- Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, two types: with 6-speed manual, Continuous AWD uses viscous coupling locking center differential; with Sport Lineartronic™ automatic, Variable Torque Distribution AWD uses planetary gear-type center differential and an electronically controlled hydraulic transfer clutch
- Active Torque Vectoring
- Incline Start Assist
- Launch Control (CVT only)
- Sport-tuned suspension